Our Top 10 Moving Tips
1. Start planning at least two months before your move.
Request quotes from moving companies.
Consider your options and determine which company is the best fit.
Contact the company, pay a deposit, and secure your date on their calendar.
2. Keep all moving-related documents in one central location so you can refer to them easily. Be sure to keep hard copies of all receipts. If you are moving for your job, you might need them for relocation expense reimbursement.
Receipts for packing supplies
Change of address forms
3. Edit your house.
What items do you really want to move?
What items you can update when you arrive at your new location?
Start recycling and discarding things early.
4. Make a list of personal and valuable items to pack separately. We recommend packing these items with your travel bags so you can find them easily at your new home.
Other items that are not easily replaced
5. Inventory your home.
Make a list of all the items you plan on having us move.
Send us a copy of the list for our records.
Keep a copy with your moving-related documents.
6. Get rid of dangerous or volatile items. We will not move them for you.
7. When you are packing …
Pack in appropriately sized boxes. If you can’t lift it, we might struggle with it, too.
Don’t put all your books in a large box. Instead, separate them into 2 or 3 small boxes.
Label each box carefully.
Use enough bubble wrap or packing paper that things don’t shift around.
Pack boxes full enough that they won’t collapse when we stack them.
If you don’t have enough time or are worried about fragile items, hire us to pack for you! (Please give us at least 5 days notice.)
8. Let key people know your new address.
Doctors, dentists, and medical providers
Gas, electric, and utility companies
Internet and cable providers
Insurance agents, banks, and other financial services
Close family members and friends
Be sure to schedule mail forwarding at the post office!
9. A week before the move …
Call us to confirm the time and location of your move.
Let us know if there’s anything we need to be aware of or drop off ahead of time.
Start cleaning food out your refrigerator and cupboards.
10. On the day of the move …
Prepare a checklist of things you want to talk with us about. Communication is key!
Walk through each room together to make sure we know what not to take.
Let us know if something is extremely fragile.
Sign a move agreement.
Relax while we do the moving!
Take a final walk through the house after we finish loading.
Pay for your move.
Smile! You're on your way to your next adventure.